2. How do I start the registration process?
If you are new to the UK and have not previously registered with the police, you must now create an online account.
First of all, please read the following information which will help you create your account:
- you must have a valid email address, which will be your username
- your account will take around 10-15 minutes to create
- depending on your particular circumstances, there will be around eight pages of information for you to fill in – including passport and visa details, study or employment details as well as your home address and your current UK address
- if you are married, you will also be asked to provide details of your spouse even if they are not in the UK with you
- if your spouse is in the UK, and also has a requirement to register with police, they must create their own account with a different email address. They will also be required to book their own appointment to complete the registration process. It is not possible for two people to be seen at one appointment
- you will be required to upload a passport style photo of yourself (head and shoulders).
When you fill in the online form, there are some drop down boxes with different options for you to choose from.
For the foreign national type there are three options:
- Student – for anyone studying in the UK
- Employee – for anyone working in the UK including Academic Visitors
- Non-employee– for either a dependant or someone who is self-employed / Turkish businessperson
There are four form submission types
- Change of details– for anyone who has already completed the registration process but has some new information to report
- New registration – for anyone who is new to the UK and registering for the first time
- Request new certificate – for anyone who has either lost their Police Registration Certificate or had it stolen. This is also for anyone needing a replacement Police Registration Certificate – if their current one is full.
- Transfer from another force – for anyone transferring to live/study/work in South Yorkshire from elsewhere in the UK .
After you have successfully created your online account, you will be prompted to book an appointment . You will be sent a link to access our online diaries.
There are several diaries (venues) available for different purposes. Please choose the option that is relevant for your circumstances - not just the first appointment you see which is available.
If you book a venue which is not relevant, you may not be seen on that date and may have to book a further appointment instead.
- New registrations - choose one of the new registrations only venues. There are up to four available at busy periods.
- Change of details - choose the change of details only venue
- Transfers - choose the change of details only venue
Please be aware that we are resuming appointments in April 2021 on a limited basis. To comply with current social distancing requirements, our staffing levels have been reduced by over 50% . We cancelled over 1,000 appointments in March 2020 and are prioritising those appointments first.
Therefore, if you have just created a new account and cannot find an available appointment – please do not worry. The date you create your account is the date we say you have registered. Please check for further availability at the end of each month. As current Covid restrictions are reviewed and gradually relaxed, we will be able to release more appointments each week.
Each person who books a new registration appointment will be sent a mandatory Covid 19 health questionnaire to complete and return before attending at Snig Hill Police Station.
Please do not book an appointment if the date is within any period of quarantine/self-isolation. Do not attend an appointment if you are feeling unwell or displaying any symptoms of Covid19.
The premises are cleaned after each visitor has attended. Sanitiser is available at each desk . We would remind all visitors that they are required to wear a face covering whilst at Snig Hill Police Station unless they are medically exempt.
We will ask that at a new registration appointment, the face covering is lowered very briefly – so we can establish identity. Visitors and staff will be separated by perspex screening at all appointments
If you have lost your Police Registration Certificate, had it stolen OR your old Certificate is full and need replacing, then please book a NEW REGISTRATIONS appointment instead.
If you are having problems creating an account, and would like some assistance, please email us at email@example.com and we will be happy to help.
You have not completed the police registration process until you have received your police registration certificate. Please do not forget to book and attend an appointment.
- Students - if you fail to attend your booked appointments we will notify your Sponsor (University). This can affect future visa applications.
Reporting changes of details
If you already have a Police Registration Certificate and an online account and you have some new details such as studies visa and address – please log back into your online account and choose the Change of Details option.
If you are leaving the UK on a temporary basis for more than two months and are intending to return, please inform us. (for students especially, who may be returning home for the summer break ) This information needs to be entered onto your PRC and so you should book a Change Of Details appointment.